I love words. It's kind of geeky, I know, but I really don't care. Without a decent vocabulary, the nuances and subtlties of every written and spoken art are lost. I don't just mean that dusty copy of Moby Dick sitting on your shelf somewhere that you never got around to reading. I mean classic and current literature, news, theatre, television and film. So I'm offering you one word or term everyday (or so) - that's my promise. What I won't guarantee is that your English professor will always approve of my choices. Language is everchanging. It is both the riverbed and the water flowing over it. We constantly add new words and give old words new meanings. I'll try to dip into a little of everthing and hope you join me.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Insipid

(in sip id). Had a friend, had a band, called it Insipid Brown. From that day forward I have always thought of the two words together. They seem linked. If 'insipid' was a color it would be brown, not a rich chocolaty, gorgeous brown - a paper bag, blah, inconsequential, forgettable brown. (Aside from the fact that I'm pretty much in love with brown, insipid is a fitting partner for it . . .)

Definition - (adj.) 1. Without distinctive, interesting, or stimulating qualities; vapid:(There's a great word too, yum.) an insipid personality.

2.Without sufficient taste to pleasing, as in food or drink; bland.

1 comment:

Allyson said...

Oh, please do vapid next, I love that word!