I love words. It's kind of geeky, I know, but I really don't care. Without a decent vocabulary, the nuances and subtlties of every written and spoken art are lost. I don't just mean that dusty copy of Moby Dick sitting on your shelf somewhere that you never got around to reading. I mean classic and current literature, news, theatre, television and film. So I'm offering you one word or term everyday (or so) - that's my promise. What I won't guarantee is that your English professor will always approve of my choices. Language is everchanging. It is both the riverbed and the water flowing over it. We constantly add new words and give old words new meanings. I'll try to dip into a little of everthing and hope you join me.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Its

While we're on the letter I, how about we all learn from the mistake I made on my original "ironic" post. It's a common mistake, and one that pains me when I see it in print - but it is also a very easy mistake to make; when do you use an apostrophe with the word 'its'?

'It's' is correct when used as a contraction for 'it is' or 'it has'.
Example: It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. (it is)
It's been a long time. (it has, hasn't it? Why, yes. It has)

'It's' is not correct when used to try to show possession.
Example: What does that dog have in it's mouth? (incorrect)
That dog has a chicken in its mouth! (correct . . . in, oh, so many ways)

'Its' is already a possessive pronoun (it modifies a noun, makes it part of something else, if you will) just like his, hers, ours, and theirs. If you're ever confused about whether or not you should throw an apostrophe in for good measure, substitute the word 'its' with 'his' - no way you can mess that up . . . unless you're typing really fast (with all four fingers) and speed-read-spell/grammar-checking afterwards. Sheesh kninsa, bust my chops, whydon'cha?

That dog has a chicken in hi's mouth! (See, you wouldn't do that. That
would be ridiculous.)

Got it? Good. Me too. We all promise to never make that mistake again.

6 comments:

Allyson said...

I feel smarter already, thanks for providing me with my word of the day. ;)

kninsa said...

I bow to your superior wit, and hereby extend my olive branch

Melissa said...

I will find this a very useful tool. Thanks friend. I hope you don't mind if I put it on my blog.

Blue Cheese said...

Oh, I could share some doozies with you . . .

I nominate "their," "there," and "they're." My students always muck that one up.

kninsa said...

I think you should do a post on the proper use of "none" as a singular noun (i.e., None of us was speaking correctly).

wendybird said...

Thanks for the ideas for more posts, I'll add them to my list!